Makeup theory: color correction and concealers

9:45 PM

This post is for color correction mostly.

All my life I thought I should use light beige concealer to correct my under eye circles. I used it and there were no effect except yellow color under my eyes and to cover the blue circle I have to put more concealer on it which was very bad.

Later I've found out that I have rosy-pale skin and I need pink or salmon color concealer and that definitely saved my skin from too much product and covered all the blue circles under my eyes.

To conceal all the imperfections you should definitely know its color and which color will cover them even with a small amount of product.
And this is where the simple color wheel takes place.

* Except pale skin and rosy-pale which should be covered with a little different colors.

Complimentary colors is the thing we definitely need.



Complementary color schemes are created by combining colors from opposite sides of the color wheel. They bring out each other, they make a visual contrast, thus both colors appear stronger against each other.
So when you mix some complimentary colors you can get a neutral gray which you can later conceal with a normal color of your skin or a little more light color of your foundation.


Yellow areas are mostly across the mouth and you can cover it with purple, lilac or violet concealer.
Redness is in our nose area, chin, forehead and you should definitely cover it with green...
Usually our under eye area has blue circles so you need to cover them with a kind of orange concealer and then cover up with a lighter color of foundation you use to match your natural skin tone.

You should create a triangle shape from your eye circle to wing of your nose to cover this whole area with the color, you shouldn't cover just undereye area, its wrong.



The next graphic is for french makeup company Make Up For Ever but many of other correctors are quite similar.



I can recommend some products for rosy-pale skin which I have. If you want an advice I should see your skin under natural light to recommend something for it.

The same complimentary colors technique works for your hair as well. If you want to get rid of the yellow color in your hair you should use purple/violet shampoo or conditioner.
And yes, it works for eyeshadow too. Green eyeshadow and red lipstick works as good as golden/yellow/orange eyeshadow on blue eyes. 

This doesn't mean you should cover your eyelids completely in red eyeshadow if you have green eyes!

Good luck with color correction and don't be afraid to have fun!

- Your Dragon V

You Might Also Like

0 comments